Thursday, June 21, 2012

Learning from the Lives of Others



Why learn from your own mistakes and experience when the publishing world is full of such great wisdom from the lives of others? When I first decided to go into business for myself, I read books about the top ten most successful business people in the world. Every business idea I have ever pursued was birthed from concepts I learned from those books and applied to my life. Recently, it was my pleasure to read How Now, Norm’s Tao by Norman Spitzig. It has joined my library of great books from which to draw wisdom from the life lessons of another.

When considering whether or not to read a book of this type, I ask myself who the author is? What does he have to teach me? Norman Spitzig is a magna cum laude graduate of Boston College and holds a Masters Degree from Ohio State University. His professional career began a general manager at the Scioto Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, and he has held successful general manager positions at private clubs in Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota, and Florida for almost thirty years. Presently, Norm is a principal and senior partner in Master Club Advisors - a leading worldwide executive placement and consulting firm for the private club industry.

Using captivating personal stories, linguistic prowess, and acerbic wit, Norm shares twelve life lessons learned through his professional and life experience. Though most of the stories have their foundation in the private club world, their value and impact transcends private clubs. From lessons on dealing with difficult people, to the value of giving more and expecting less, to overcoming challenging situations, every person in every walk of life will find a way to apply the wisdom found in these pages.

My personal favorite lesson is “Laugh a lot - and then laugh some more.” If you have ever spent more than 5 minutes around me, you have heard me laugh. So, this lesson rang true for me. In one story about living in Brighton, Massachusetts while attending Boston College, Norm says, “It’s not so much that what we did was somehow objectively funny; rather, it’s that we were always able, and most willing, to see the inherent humor in just about everything.” Norm and I are long lost friends connected through wisdom and humor.

I encourage you to discover all the wisdom and humor available at www.NormSpitzig.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Who links to my website?